One Night In Beijing

Had a night in Beijing and since I have late departure at night, I decided to head out to explore the Tian An Men as I've always wanted to check it out. Unfortunately, it was the mid autumn festival in Beijing which takes places for a week so everywhere is packed to the brim. People from all parts of china heads to beijing, and vice versa.

Tiananmen Square is a large city square in the center of Beijing named after the Tiananmen Gate and is the third largest city square in the world (440,000 m²) It has great cultural significance as it was the site of several important events in Chinese history.

First built during the Ming Dynasty in 1420, Tiananmen is often referred to as the front entrance to the Forbidden City. However, the Meridian Gate (午门) is the first entrance to the Forbidden City proper, while Tiananmen was the entrance to the Imperial City, within which the Forbidden City was located. Tiananmen is located to the north of Tiananmen Square, across the street from the plaza from Chang'an Avenue.



On July 7, 1949 the picture of  Mao Zedong were hung to commemorate the WWII. Since then, from the founding date of the People's Republic of China, a portrait of Mao Zedong has been hung at the square on October 1. Each year the old portrait is replaced before October 1, founding day of the PRC

 The closest I could get to Tian An Men is the outer gate of it and I could barely squeeze in. So I gave up and took a train to Wang fu Jing

The train in Beijing is really cheap. BUT, it reeks of this aweful smell. Like there's this really sourish smell everytime I take a public transport in China, be it the train or cab. They said the Jam in Beijing is very bad and the concierge adviced me to take a train. Oh man, that's the worst advice you could ever listen to. NEVER take a train in China!

 Cabbing is very cheap, just take a cab!


Wang Fu Jing is apparently a street filled with traditional and iconic mainland food and souvenirs

Check out some of the local delights!



Some interesting memoribilla along the souvenir shops.





Was in search of Peking duck, and chanced upon this restaurnt where people are snapping pics of it and the statue outside. Apparently it sells pork dumpling and judging from the amount of people in the shop it should taste quite nice.


This was the recommended restaurant - Quan Ju De.



A half-duck with popiah skin was around 129RMB, and thats about 25++. Considered ex. It took 30 - 45 mins to come and the service was really slow and bad. First the lady just dumped me a plate of skin and asked me to eat with sugar. Then after some time, she said the duck is over there *points to the chef, and I asked if I had to go over to take. She said she'd take it over for me. Then here she dumped one plate of sliced duck meat and leftover duck bones. I doubt its even half a duck! The duck was so huge on the chef's table and that's all i got! I ordered for a bowl of rice which took eons to arrive. I even had to pester the waiter/waitresses a few times before I looked really pissed and they sent it to me immediatedly. Fuck these people.  





Alrights, its not that fantastic afterall so don't bother paying so much, waiting so long and getting bad service! Seriously, those in London are nicer.
 Saw a few people eating this and I wondered what it is!

Turns out to be fried icecream so I gave it a try. Cost me 10RMB.
Verdict: Oily bread and crust which tasted foamy. Inside all melted and tasted bad. Don't waste calories on these undeserving food!  


0 Responses

Post a Comment

abcs